Lameness exams can be brief or very thorough depending on your wants and needs. We work with you to try to determine if/and of why your horse is lame and what we can do to improve it. We can also help you maximize your horse’s performance and determine if you can help improve your horse’s potential.
Lameness examinations can include:
- Thorough history of owner/trainer/rider
- Physical examination
- Check for heat/ swelling/ inflammation in legs, feet, back, neck, etc.
- Palpation of joints, ligaments/tendons
4. Watching the horse in hand and sometimes on the lunge line at a walk, trot and canter
5. Flexion tests
- Flexing each joint for a fixed period of time
- Then watching if they are able to trot away without being sore afterwards
6. Watching the horse ridden
- Referral for MRI/ bone scans, etc.
- Anti-inflammatory medication
- Joint Injections
- Shockwave therapy
- Chiropractic Referral
- Re-examination to track improvement and adjust the plan based on how your horse is improving
Our goal is to help determine the best treatment for you and your horse. We discuss multiple options and are there to help you make the best decision based on your goals.